The possibilities are endless when it comes to wearing your favorite little black dress, making it easy to create a timeless outfit that will attract attention for all the right reasons. Here are some of our favorite ways to wear this wardrobe staple:
- Karl Lagerfeld knows that his signature monochrome never goes out of fashion, and if it’s good enough for the King of fashion it’s good enough for us, so why not inject some spring time style into your outfit by pairing your black dress with crisp white accessories?
- If you’re shopping for a new dress then look for one with attention-grabbing details. Interesting fabrics such as super-soft silk, delicate lace or cotton with raw edging can turn a good dress into a great one.
- It’s OK to experiment and break the fashion rules: you can wear black with other neutral shades such as nude, beige and even navy blue. The overall effect will look classic and incredibly stylish!
- Want to really make a statement and stand out from the crowd? Channel you inner A-lister and team your dress with a neck-lengthening up ‘do and plenty of gold and faux-diamond embellished bling for a look that is truly red carpet worthy. Look to the recent Oscars for the ultimate style inspiration.
Wearing a Black Dress Outfit Casually
Although they are a popular go-to look for after dark, black dresses aren’t just for wearing in the evening. In fact, more and more high profile bloggers and celebrities are choosing to wear black during the day time too, because it’s such an easy and convenient look to put together whilst still looking fashion-forward and on trend. Here are a few styling tips to inspire you:
- For a laid-back casual look, add either flat ankle boots or loafers to your outfit. Look for shoes that are embellished with laces, cut out details, tassels or metal hardware to add on-trend,, attention-grabbing interest to your outfit.
- Throw on a fitted leather or denim jacket. It’s the perfect cover up for cooler days, and will give your outfit a rock star edge without looking too fussy.
- Accessories are important to tie your look together. Add an oversized scarf and chunky jewelry to inject a pop of color into your outfit. Long line necklaces are a great choice for elongating your body, and yellow and orange are both set to be popular accent colours for 2017.
- Choose your purse wisely! Opt for leather day tote or shoulder bag to keep your look as laid back and casual as possible.
How to Make a Black Dress Stand Out
Want to really make your black dress stand out from the crowd for all the right reasons? It’s much easier than you might think! Choosing the right shoes to wear with your dress is one of the most important style decisions you can make to set the tone of your outfit and ensure you’re attracting the right kind of attention. Here are a few fun ideas for your feet:
- Why not make a statement by teaming a bright and attention grabbing pair of shoes with a mini dress? A statement heel is always a good idea, will help to draw attention to your legs and also give your outfit a fun twist.
- Sports-luxe and athleisure are two of this season’s hottest trends. You can tie these trends together with your classic dress using the right shoes! Inject a sporty aesthetic into your look by pairing a mid-length black dress with your favourite sneakers.
- There is nothing more stylish than black on black, so for a look worthy of a fashion editor why not wear your black dress with flat black loafers or brogues for a fashion-forward look with a no-nonsense masculine feel?
- Looking forward to summer? Don’t underestimate the power of a killer pair of sandals! Summer gives you more freedom to have fun with your feet, so look for sandals with humorous detailing: fruit or animal charms and embellishments can look fantastic.
A black dress is a wardrobe staple you can always depend on: Everyone should one in their closet. Do you have any top tips to share for wearing yours? Where are you wearing your favorite black dress and what are you wearing it with? We’d love to hear your ideas!
Featured Photo: Arissa is wearing a lace detail black dress underneath a full skirted black skirt, teamed with simple black heeled court shoes.